Monday 11 July 2011

Cicada (big, scary, flying insects to the rest of us!)

Cicada

Another minor detail my husband chose to omit when he told me we were moving to Indiana, is that they have BIG BUGS, and lots of them.

I'm not renown for my love of insects, in fact, I'd go so far as to say that I'm bordering on the phobic.  I'm pretty obsessive about having bugs forcibly removed from all areas that I inhabit, and I am ashamed to admit to having subjected various members of my family to ridiculous physical feats in order to capture and eject unwanted visitors from my home.  

Let me introduce you to the Cicada - an insect I had never even heard of before moving to the USA.  They are very big, and very loud.  They crawl out of holes in the ground, then mostly hang out up in the trees, which suits me fine, but you occasionally see them flying around, or dead on the ground.

They make a strange clicking/whirring noise which has been likened to a saw drill, unlike any insect I have ever heard.

They kindly visit once a year, when the weather gets hot, and they are back!! I heard the first Cicada "song", as people refer to it, a few days ago, and now the sound is deafening, but I'd rather not think about how many of the little blighters it takes to form such a noisy Cicada choir.

I've been told they are a pretty interesting group of insects, with a variety of life cycles and characteristics. If, unlike me, you'd like to know more about Cicada than when they are likely to sing their last song of the season, then follow the link below.


http://www.in.gov/dnr/entomolo/4540.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment